Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Identity theft crime wave

Wow -- let me just tell you that this identity theft problem is massive. I read about it on this informative identity theft site. Ten million victims every year? Lives torn asunder? Credit histories ruined? Criminal records gained?

No thanks. I'm definitely going to take every precaution I can to protect myself from this. It's so cheap, too! I would have thought it would be at least $20 a month for a service that keeps you on top of what's going on in your name. Turns out, it's less than half that! You get to try it for free, too. Why on earth isn't everyone subscribing to a preventive product like Identity Lookout? It's the only thing that makes sense. A stitch in time saves nine and prevention really is the best cure.

All I could think when I read that site was, "Wow, I've been really lucky so far." I tried to imagine what it would be like to have my identity stolen and learn that "I" had done all kinds of things that I didn't even know about! That would really sting.